Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Seeking His Face Part 1

For the past two years I have had one single and consistent passion in my spiritual life… to get to know Jesus.

I’m not talking about the warm fuzzy thing associated with “going to church” or religiosity, I’m talking about acquainting myself with the Jesus of History.

What a fun 2 years it has been. I view Jesus, his ministry, and his message so much differently than I did two years ago. I am still excited as I have been reading books like: The Challenge of Jesus and the Original Jesus by N.T. Wright and The Desire of the Everlasting Hills by Thomas Cahill (Read anything you can get your hands on by Cahill), Josephus by Paul Meire and of course the NEW TESTAMENT. We don’t do enough of this as Christians. At least I don’t run into too many Christians who think about or talk about Jesus outside of their addiction to their warm fuzzy. Rarely do I run into the Christian who says “Man, I’m really struggling with my preconceived ideas about Jesus or “this Jesus of history is quite different that the one I grew up to “know” or believe in”. For me this has been an awe inspiring two years of “seeking his face” and the good news is there is plenty more for me to read J I hope to share some of these joys in this blog over the next few weeks and I look forward to your responses. Please feel free to post in the blog site as opposed to emailing me directly.

No comments: