Monday, January 09, 2006

WE WAKE

We wake, if we ever wake at all, to mystery... Our life is a faint tracing on the surface of [that] mystery. We must somehow take a wider view, look at the whole landscape, really see it and describe what's going on here. Then at least we can wail the right question to the swaddling band of darkness or, if it comes to that, choir the proper praise.
-Annie Dillard
Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

It's funny you know, I don't consider myself a radical proponentnt of "creationism" as many fundamentalist Christians are. Evolution on the other hand has been found wanting as well. One thing I know for sure is that I have heard really good arguments from both sides of the issue (not indepthly I will admit). And neither have convinced me that they really look around at real life. One dances in poetry and the other in science and neither really know how to dance very well. Perhaps they too will wake and wake to mystery.

No comments: